We have a sweet seal pup for you today! Amigurumi designs are some of our most popular during the 30 Days of Cozy and today we a new, easy stuffy design from Underground Crafter, Marie Segares. I’m so grateful to Marie for taking the time to share this adorable little guy with us today!
Meet Marie Segares
Marie Segares is the Proprietress of Underground Crafter. She learned to crochet from my maternal grandmother in 1984 and has been hooked ever since. In 2010, she finally conquered her fear of knitting and hasn’t looked back since. (Don’t tell the knitting, but crochet is still her favorite!)
Her patterns have been published by Crochetvolution, Crochet World, Entwine, Galler Yarns, I Like Crochet, I Like Knitting, Inside Crochet, KnitCircus, KnitCrate, Kollabora, Love of Crochet, Love of Knitting, Pom Pom Quarterly, Yarnbox, and the Quick & Simple Crochet booklet series. She shares self-published patterns on her blog, on Craftsy, and Ravelry.
She is a Craft Yarn Council Certified Crochet and Knitting Instructor (Level I) and Certified Crochet and Knitting Teacher (Level II) and professional member of, and volunteer blogger and newsletter editor for, Crochet Guild of America, an Affiliate Member of The National Needlearts Association, and a Digital Content Creator member of the Association For Creative Industries.
Blog and Social Media Links
- Website: https://undergroundcrafter.com
- Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/designers/marie-segares
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UndergroundCrafter/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ucrafter/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/ucrafter/
- Red Heart Super Saver, medium weight #4 yarn (100% acrylic; 364 yds/333 m per 7 oz/198 g skein)
- 1 skein 340 Dusty Grey
- US Size F/5 (3.75mm) crochet hook
- 1 pair 6 mm black safety eyes
- 13 mm black oval craft nose
- Fiber filling
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Printable PDF Pattern for the Amigurumi Seal
Measurements approximate before stuffing. Height: 4.5″ Width: 3.25″
- bob – bobble (see special stitches)
- ch – chain
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – sc 2 sts together
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * – repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated
18 sc = 4”/10 cm
Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small so that fiber filling doesn’t show.
bob = 5-repeat bobble = [Yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops] 5 times in same st, yo and draw through all 6 loops on hook.
sc2tog = single crochet 2 stitches together (decrease) = [Insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- US Terminology
- The Front and Back Pieces are crocheted flat in rows. The Edgings are crocheted in the round.
- A helpful photo tutorial for seaming crochet pieces together with the mattress stitch is available here: https://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2015/07/14/crochet-tipstuesday-how-to-join-granny-squares-or-other-projects-with-the-mattress-stitch/.
- Ch 1 at the beginning of Rows does not count as a stitch.
How to Make this Amigurumi Seal
- Ch 6.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 5 sts. (5 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc to last st, 2 sc in last st. (7 sts)
- Rows 3-5: Rep Row 2, 3 times. (13 sts)
- Row 6: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across.
- Rep Row 6 until piece measures approximately 2” (5 cm) long. Pm in first and last stitch of Row to mark front flipper placement.
- Rep Row 6 until piece measures approximately 4” (10 cm) long.
- Row 7: Turn, ch 1, sc2tog in first 2 sts, sc in each st across to last 2 sts, sc2tog. (11 sts)
- Row 8: Rep Row 7 once. (9 sts)
First Back Flipper
- Row 9a: Turn, ch 1, sc2tog in first 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts. (3 sts)
- Rows 10a-11a: Rep Row 6 twice.
- Row 12a: Turn, ch 1, sc2tog in first 2 sts, sc in next st. (2 sts)
- Row 13a: Turn, ch 1, sc2tog in first 2 sts. Fasten off. (1 st)
Second Back Flipper
- On Row 8, skip 1 st after First Back Flipper, join with sl st to next st.
- Row 9b: Ch 1, sc in same st and next st, sc2tog. (3 sts)
- Rows 10b-13b: Rep Rows 10a-13a.
Back Piece Edging
- Round 1: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, turn to work along side of Flipper, sc in side of each of next 5 rows, sc in skipped st on Row 8, turn to work along side of next Flipper, sc in side of each of next 5 rows, turn to work along edge, sc in next st, turn to work along side of unfinished edge, sc in side of each row across to foundation chain, turn to work along foundation ch, sc in unworked side of next 5 sts from foundation chain, turn to work along side of unfinished edge, sc in side of each row across to first sc, join with sl st. Fasten off.
- Rep instructions for Back Piece through Row 13b.
Front Piece Edging
- Round 1: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st, turn to work along side of Flipper, sc in side of each of next 5 rows, sc in skipped st on Row 8, turn to work along side of next Flipper, sc in side of each of next 5 rows, turn to work along edge, sc in next st, *turn to work along side of unfinished edge, sc in side of each row across to marked row, bob in side of marked row,** sc in side of each row across to foundation chain, turn to work along foundation ch, sc in unworked side of next 5 sts on foundation chain, rep from * to **, sc in side of each row across to first sc, join with sl st.
- Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 24”/61 cm) for seaming.
Assembly and Finishing
- Position Front Piece so that bobble Flippers “pop” upwards. This is the right side.
- Position safety eyes on face. Attach firmly by securing washers on back. Repeat for craft nose.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail from Front Piece Edging. Starting at Back Flippers, seam pieces together with mattress stitch (see Pattern Notes). As you seam Back Flippers, stuff firmly with fiber filling. Continue to seam. Once you have about 2” (5 cm) unseamed remaining, stuff firmly with fiber filling. As you finish seaming, continue to stuff.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
More Amigurumi Stuffies You’ll Love
© 2019 Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). Published with permission by Made With a Twist.
This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from the pattern. If you would like to teach a class based on this pattern, please contact Marie at [email protected] to purchase a commercial-use pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern, the schematics, or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group, without her written permission.