I was so honored when my friend, Christine, asked me to design a hat for this year’s Crochet Cancer Challenge and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. This design is called the Karen Strong Beanie in honor of my dear friend who fought a brave battle against multiple cancers for more years than I care to count. I’ll share a bit about Karen, below.
The Karen Strong Beanie was designed in the most vibrant but softest purple I could find. Purple is the color used to honor all cancers and I thought that was appropriate since my friend battle more than one.
I wanted some vibrant to represent the fierce way she loved those around here and the way she battled to bring joy to every situation. And soft because beneath that fight was the most tender heart that endured more pain than one person should be allowed.
And she would be mad at me for making this post such a downer. So, let’s make a shift…
Nothing brought my friend more joy than seeing other people blessed…and that’s why I’m so honored to share this design for the Crochet Cancer Challenge. If this is your first challenge, this is how it works:
- Simply follow the challenge at: https://sweetpotato3.com/colors-of-courage-hat-crochet-pattern/
- Follow the link to the daily design being shared.
- Click the image that says “Click Here to Download”.
- Make as many hats as you’d like.
- Donate at least one hat to your local cancer center.
The Karen Strong Beanie for Charity
I love making this hat due to its super soft, super bulky yarn and repeating stitches that make it a great project for binge-watching shows or just relaxing.
Here are the details you’ll need before downloading the pattern for yourself…
- Lion Brand Hometown USA, super bulky weight #6 yarn. (100% acrylic, 81 yds/74 m per 5 oz/142 g skein) 2 skeins or 100 yards (I used Minneapolis Purple)
- 9.00 mm (M) Crochet Hook
- Latch hook or sewing needle
- Printable PDF Pattern for the Karen Strong Beanie
Approx 9″ (23 cm) x 9″ (23 cm) when laying flat.
beg – Beginning
ch – Chain
dc – Double Crochet
dc2tog – Double Crochet 2 sts Together (DC decrease)
sc – Single Crochet
sc2tog – Single Crochet 2 sts Together (SC decrease)
sk – Skip a stitch
sl st – Slip Stitch
st(s) – Stitch(es)
Get Your Copy of the Karen Strong Beanie PDF
My feature day for the Crochet Cancer Challenge is over but you can still get your own copy of the Karen Strong Beanie using the links, below.
Suggested Pricing: a Guide for Crochet Sellers
Permission is given (even encouraged) to sell your handmade products created from this original Made with a Twist pattern. I only ask that you give credit to Pam Grice from Made with a Twist as the designer, when possible, and link back to www.madewithatwist.com and/or @madewithatwist (on social media) when selling and sharing images online.
Suggested Retail Price
- Marketing to bargain shoppers is not recommended.
- Increase value for boutique buyers with luxury yarns, packaging, and/or embellishments for boutique shoppers.
More Chunky Hats You’ll Love to Sell or Gift
©2021 Montgomery Grice Enterprises, Inc | Made with a Twist | Pamela Grice This pattern and its associated images are copyright protected. The pattern is for your personal use only. Please do not copy/paste, distribute, or alter and claim as your own.