Today, we have a snowflake basket tapestry crochet pattern from Sarah of No Hooks Given. I think you’re going to love this one and it’s perfect for the entire Fall/Winter season! Here’s what Sarah has to say about her Let it Snow Basket design:
My favorite seasons are Fall and Winter. In my hometown, it got so hot that we didn’t have much of a winter. I always was in love with the thought of winter, the scenery, and bundling up.
I absolutely love the saying ‘We are like a snowflake, all different in our own beautiful way’.
And no, the Let it Snow Snowflake Basket is featured as part of our 2021 Best of 30 Days of Cozy event!
I finally moved more North to be able to enjoy the chilly season. When I finally got to experience my first snow, I fell in love. Everything looked so different when covered in snow and it is truly is incredible.
Speaking of love, one of my favorite craft projects is house ware items. I love making items that will be used daily or weekly. I wanted to combine my love of snowflakes and housewares so I created The Let It Snow Basket.
In this blog post, you will find my smaller basket and the charts included to help you make this one of a kind piece. In the premium version of the pattern (see Pattern Downloads), you will find my larger basket that is large enough to help you organize clothes, big projects, blankets, and other large pieces.
I hope you can enjoy this homemade homeware project as much as I did design it.
Are you ready to make your own?
While the free pattern is included, below, Sarah has offered Best of 30 Days of Cozy readers the opportunity to purchase the ad-free, downloadable PDF of this pattern for 30% the regular price from Oct 20 – 24.
Click the button, below, to grab the promo code from the event homepage. Then, come back here and scroll to the bottom of the page for links to purchase.
- 6.5 mm crochet hook
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or your favorite Super Bulky weight 6 yarn
- Main color: 200 yards (I used colorway Denim)
- Contrasting color: 78 yards (I used colorway Marble)
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring tape
- SL ST – Slip Stitch
- CH – Chain
- ST – Stitch
- SC – Single Crochet
- WC ST – Waistcoat Stitch
- REP – Repeat
- BLO – Back Loop Only
- Crab ST – Crab Stitch
- Skill Level: Intermediate (the pattern might cause frustration for beginning crocheters)
- Gauge: 8 stitches X 8 rows = 4” square
- Stitch used for gauge: single crochet
- Terminology: US terminology
- Measurement(s): Medium Size: 9.5-inch-tall, 10-inch-tall with handles, and 10 inches wide.
- No matter your skill level, I always suggest that you read through the pattern from beginning to end before beginning your work just to be sure you don’t have any questions that might cause frustration in the midst of your project.
- CH 1 does not count like a stitch.
- This basket is worked in the round from the bottom up creating the base first, the sides, then the handles.
- We will not be chaining at the start of any row unless noted. This will give a clean start of each row for a seam-free look.
- When creating the snowflake, we will be using the waistcoat stitch to help make sure our snowflake is stacking on top of each instead of slanting to the side. It also makes this basket very sturdy.
- When we start working the sides of the basket, start carrying the second color
- Make sure you are watching your yarn during color changes to not get tangled or twisted.
- Move up the stitch marker as you go to keep track of the beginning of each row.
Pattern Stitches Used:
- Crab Stitch’ is crocheting backward, for video tutorial click here
- Waistcoat Stitch is single crochet into the V of the ST rather than the front and back loops
Let it Snow Snowflake Basket Free Tapestry Crochet Pattern
With 6.5 size hook and using your MC make a magic circle
ROW 1: 6 SC into magic circle, Place stitch marker on first SC, do not join, (6 SC)
Row 2: *2 SC in first stitch, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join (12 SC)
Row 3: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next ST, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (18 SC)
Row 4: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 2 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (24 SC)
Row 5: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 3 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (30 SC)
Row 6: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 4 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (36 SC)
Row 7: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 5 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (42 SC)
Row 8: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 6 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (48 SC)
Row 9: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 7 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (54 SC)
Row 10: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 8 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (60 SC)
Row 11: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 9 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (66 SC)
Row 12: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 10 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, SL ST into beginning ST, (72 SC)
We will now begin the sides of the medium basket.
Row 1: CH1, SC into BLO in first ST and in each ST across until you reach stitch marker, do not join (72 SC)
You will now follow the charts for Rows 2-25 using the WC ST. The 1st chart is of all 3 snowflakes on the basket and the 2nd chart is of a close up of the snowflake. Note that we will be working in the round, so each row will start on the right side of the chart.
Before starting Row 2 start carrying the CC to help the basket be consistent and move up the stitch marker each row and continue to carry the CC on Row 24-25.
We will not stop carrying the CC.
Row 26: Continue using the WC ST, SC in next 13 STS, CH 10, skip 10 STS, SC in next 26 STS, CH 10, skip 10 STS, SC in next 13 STS, do not join, move up stitch marker (72 STS)
Row 27: Continue using the WC ST, SC in each ST until you reach first handle, put 12 SCs around CH 10, SC in each ST until you reach next handle, put 12 SCs around CH 10, SC in each stitch until you reach stitch marker. (76 STS)
Row 28: Crab ST until you reach stitch marker, (76 STS)
Fasten off 6 in tail for weaving in. Weave in all other ends
Get Your Downloadable PDF
While the free pattern is shared above, our readers often ask how to get a printable pattern or how they can support the work of independent designers such as No Hooks Given.
That is why we’ve made this pattern available as premium, ad-free, downloadable PDF. If you’d like to support Bethany’s work, you can purchase the pattern, via the button, below.
More Home Decor Patterns You’ll Love!
Filet Crochet Table Runner for Fall
Leave a Reply