poly –1. a combining form with the meanings “much, many” and in chemistry,” polymeric,” used in the formation of compound words.
When I sat down to make a reversible hat, I didn’t really have any idea how much I was going to love this design. As I worked, though, the whole thing came together so nicely.
My original idea was to make a double-brimmed hat but as I thought about the options for a double-brim, I just didn’t feel like seaming anything together and I wasn’t in the mood to make another SC ribbed hat. So…reversible is!
And I LOVE it! I really hope you do, too.
This 8-in-1, double-thick, reversible hat is going to be everything this season, I just know it! It’s so simple to make with zero seaming and just two stitches a SC and DC so even a beginner can whip up this beauty..
One side of the hat (shown here in Pewter) is dense for warmth on even the coldest days. The alternating stitches add interest and texture.
The other side (shown in Iced Aqua) is feminine and lacy for those days when you want to feel like a girly-girl…but you still don’t want to freeze for it! (A girl’s gotta be practical, right?)
The combination of stitches looks so amazing that this hat is sure to be a hit whether you’re giving it as a gift, selling it at a craft fair or making for yourself.
Once complete, this hat can be worn in 8 different styles: two different colors, with or without the detachable pom, as a slouch hat or with the brim folded up as a beanie. It’s so versatile and cute!
Grab your copy of the pattern today so you have time to make one for everyone this holiday season!
Ready to Make Your Own?
- 10.00 mm (N) Crochet Hook
- 110 yards, each, 2 coordinating colors of size 4 (worsted weight) yarn.
- I used Red Heart with Love in Pewter and Iced Aqua
- Yarn Needle
- Button or Toggle with holes large enough to thread yarn through
- A pompom maker or empty paper products rolls (DIY instructions here)
- SK: skip a stitch
- SLST: slip stitch
- CH: chain
- SC: single crochet
- DC: double crochet
- Skill Level: Easy, though an understanding of crochet pattern reading is necessary
- US Terminology
- Size: Teen/Women’s Small (Youth and Women’s M and L instructions are included in the premium pattern available here.
- The hat
- is double thick,
- is reversible,
- requires no seaming or sewing (just the cinching of the top),
- includes a removable pompom,
- is a dense fabric on one side and lacy fabric on the other,
- can be worn as a slouch hat or double (quadruple) brimmed beanie,
- Fully tested and tech edited pattern
- Takes approximately 2 hours to complete
- No matter your skill level, I always suggest that you read through the pattern from beginning to end before beginning your work just to be sure you don’t have any questions that might cause frustration in the midst of your project.
- There are two sides to this hat. The first, denser side is worked in waistcoat stitch and regular single crochets – this side will be the MC (it is the grey in the photo above). The other side is a looser, lacier stitch and worked in the grit stitch – this side will be the CC (it is the aqua in the photo above). Decide which of your colors will be the MC and the CC.
- Work your stitches loosely.
- Waistcoat Stitch: Here’s a helpful video on Waistcoat stitch from Make and Do Crew
- Grit Stitch: *SC, DC in the next stitch* repeat
Polly Reversible Beanie Pattern
This free version of the pattern is for a women’s small.
With 10.00 mm hook and MC
Loosely CH40 and join into a loop being careful not to twist the chain.
Rnd 1: CH1, SC in the first stitch and each stitch around. Do not join here or throughout. (40 sts)
Add a stitch marker in stitch 1 and move it up one row with each round.
Rnds 2 – 7: SC in between the V stitch created by the first single crochet in the previous round. Continue working in this fashion working a SC into each stitch around. (40 sts)
SINGLE CROCHET SECTION
Rnd 8: Instead of working into the V of the first stitch, skip over the first v and work a SC as you would through both loops. Continue in this fashion, working a SC into each stitch around. (40 sts)
Rnds 9 – 12: SC in each stitch around. (40 sts)
Rnds 13 – 18: SC in between the V stitch created by the first single crochet in the previous round. Continue working in this fashion working a SC into each stitch around. (40 sts)
SINGLE CROCHET SECTION
Rnd 19: Instead of working into the V of the first stitch, skip over the first v and work a SC as you would through both loops. Continue in this fashion, working a SC into each stitch around. (40 sts)
Rnds 20 – 23: SC in each stitch around. (40 sts)
Rnds 24 – 29: SC in between the V stitch created by the first single crochet in the previous round. Continue working in this fashion working a SC into each stitch around. (40 sts)
Finish off leaving a 24” tail for weaving later.
SWITCH TO COMPLIMENTARY COLOR
With 10.00 mm hook and CC
Turn the piece over so that Rnd 29 is at the bottom.
Attach CC with a SLST to the first stitch of your beginning chain.
Rnd 1: CH1, SC in each stitch around. Do not join here or throughout. (40 sts)
Add a stitch marker to your first stitch and move it up a row with each round.
Rnd 2: *SC in the first stitch, DC in the next stitch,* repeat from * to * 19 more times. (40 sts)
Rnds: 3 – 19: (or until CC is the same length as MC: Repeat Rnd 2.
Finish off leaving a 24” tail for weaving.
Your piece should look like this:
On the MC side, using a tapestry needle, weave the tail in and out of the loops of Rnd 29. Pull to cinch closed and sew to secure. Hide the ends and finish off.
On the CC side, do the same.
Our piece should look like this:
Now, push the CC part of the hat into the MC so that the hat becomes double-thick.
Using a pompom maker or however you like to make pompoms (DIY directions here), make a pompom in the size of your choice using both colors together. Tie it together using a doubled up string of matching yarn that is approximately 36” (when doubled…so 72 inches long).
To add the pom: Using a crochet hook, pull the long strings through the center of the hat. Thread the strings through the holes of the button and tie them tightly to secure the pompom.
To reverse the hat: Remove the pom, invert the hat, and add the pom, if desired.
And now you’re done!
PDF Pattern Downloads
If you’d like an ad-free, downloadable PDF of the Polly Double-thick Beanie, you can get it
- for free (women’s small size only) when you become a Made with a Twist VIP subscriber, here.
- for purchase (less than the cost of a cup of coffee) from
Get Featured on Social Media
I’d love to see your finished creations! Be sure to tag @madewithatwist on your Instagram posts so I can share them in my stories!
Get Notified of New Patterns
Love designs from Made with a Twist by Crochetpreneur? Stay in the loop on all my upcoming patterns and projects by subscribing to my newsletter and you’ll be the first to know plus, I’ll send you the ad-free version of this pattern for FREE! SUBSCRIBE HERE